A Table for All

This is a place for LGBTQ persons to find joy in Scripture. I invite you to affirm your identity as Children of God, and to reconcile faith with sexuality. No longer do you have to separate your faith life from your sexual identity. All are welcome at the table of the Lord, no exceptions.

14 June 2010

New Format

Well, I have come to a conclusion after not blogging for such a long time; in most cases, it is extremely difficult for me to relate EVERY Sunday's readings from the lectionary to LGBTQ struggles and experience. The truth is, to focus every week's lessons on a single theme is not the best approach for several reasons. Number one, every reading in the Bible is rich with layers of meanings and lessons upon which we can reflect. Like everything in life, the Bible can be, and for that matter, must be, read from a variety of lenses. To look at it only through the lens of the experience of LGBTQ persons simplifies the wonderful complexities of Scripture. Further, doing so denies that as Christians, we are multifaceted persons that are influenced and molded from our various life experiences which may or may not relate to our sexuality.
That being said, this blog will remain a place where Christianity/Scripture and the queer experience converge. Meaning, when applicable, I might select a Bible passage that has relevance to being queer. I will also spend some time debunking some of the commonly (mis)cited passages that some people feel relates to same-sex relations being ‘abominations.’ My hope is that I can also do some entries on coming out experiences for people who are also deeply Christian and how coming out was also a profound step in their faith journeys (this will include Allies as well).
If anyone has any suggestions for something s/he would like to see, please let me know and I will do my best to cover it. Take care and peace to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment